Monday, December 18, 2006


Why have i stopped writing?? Do I have nothing to say anymore? Or have I started to believe that expression of thought is after all not a noble exercise. I decided to watch the movies, watched Arth and Silsila after Kaabuliwala and DDLJ , I am trying to watch all the wrong combinations I guess. Silsila left me completely unmoved, though Rekha was striking. To me it seemed like a real life psychological experiment done on Amitabh, Jaya and Rekha. It is rumoured that Amitabh was involved with Rekha at the time, Jaya came back to do this movie after a request from Yash Chopra, she was no longer active as an actress. Now think about this, Yash Chopra plans to get the Indian family together and brings Jaya and Rekha face to face on the movie sets. What happened was expected. Amitabh and Rekha never worked again :-)Arth was a better movie. Well then it is by Mahesh Bhatt isn't it.What i lied about the movie, well lets say the characters are honest and believable. Shabana Azmi in her portrayal of the wronged woman is simply superb, Smita Patil and a disturbed Praveen Babi is simply unbelievable. Kulbhushan Kharbanda is also good, but the ladies steal away the show for sure. As for directorial technique, Arth is an honest film. Actors are honest, sets are honest, story is honest.
I watched DDLJ with a very different perspective this time. I watched it from Simran's perspective. I never could understand her character, but this time around I think i got the hang of her. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Arth and DDLJ...that is quite a combination!