Monday, November 26, 2012

Heer - Jab Tak Hai Jaan - Translation

I am in love with the song..
Cannot stop listening.

Heer Ranjha and Mirza Sahibaan are love stories from Punjab.

no connection between two :-) 

now the song or at least my interpretation.

Heer thinks she is in love with Ranjha but discovers that she is actually Mirza's Sahiban.
In other words it is a song of discovering that your heart beats for someone else.
In ways it is about the deep wish to fight fate and following hearts desire.

but above all it is a beautiful love ballad, heart rendering music and deep deep lyrics.

Heer Heer na akho odiyo, Main te Sahibaan hoyi,
Khodi (Mare) leke aaye le jaaye, Khodi leke aaye le jaaye,
Le jaaye Mirza koi, Le jaaye Mirza koi

Don't call me Heer, I am but Sahiban
May he come and take me away
May some Mirza come my way


Ohde je hi main te oh mere varga,
hansda ae sajra sawere varga,
ankha bandh kar la te thande hanere varga

I am like him and he like me
When he laughs he ushers in bright morning
when he closes his eyes he is like cool of night.


ohde je hi main te o Mirza mere varga
I am like him and he like me

Naal naal tur na te vith rakhna
hadd rakh lena wich dil rakhna,
chhanve chhanve paawe assi teri parchhawe tur na

Lets walk together but keep some distance
Lets keep our hearts in that distance
but lets walk together even if it is walking as your shadow.





3 comments:

~irrational mind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~irrational mind said...

Came across your blog. The way i read this song is -

Though both Heer/Ranjha and Sahiban/Mirza are love stories, there is one significant difference between two. Heer and Ranjha never got together. On the contrary, Mirza and Sahiban got together (though they both died after that).

So the lyrics say - Please dont call me Heer, as i do not want to be Heer (who never united with Ranjha). I want to be Sahiban (as she managed to get Mirza even if death came along)

~irrational mind

Anonymous said...

You know I’ve heard this song Numerous times and never really paid any attention to the lyrics or the meaning for that matter. I like it so much better now that I know the sentiments behind it. :)