Monday, January 23, 2006

Growing up

As far back as I can remember, I was never treated as a normal Indian, I was not raised up to be an Indian. The coarse rustic is just not a part of me. I was taught to be politically correct, sensitive to all, and polite. I was never taught how to abuse, or how to take abuse as a part of language. I learnt that in college though. I was never exposed to the complexity of the culture, I was never exposed to the notions and conviction of people. I lived in a rosy world, that was protected and secluded and I was provided nurturing in a fake environment. Environment where people feared God, environment where there were no scandals, where nothing bad was ever discussed, so much so that I was not even aware of scandals and shame some of my close relatives had brought on to their families. So in short I lived in a make believe world.
and this world came shattering down the day I stepped into real India. all my childhood was spent reading books about distant English children and the way they had tea parties and the way they could go cycling in country side, but this could never happen in India, because no one will let me do it. We played and interacted with other children of the same phony middle class culture, which is too high on morals and tries to kill all the ambition that you might nurture inside you, before you even hit college. Conformance was the word in that social setup. Never question, always confirm.
But the India that I live in, is very different, the culture that I see now, has hues and shades of grey that I never knew existed. The history is strewn with examples after examples of individuals making it big, just on the sheer belief in their dreams. Love is not cheap but is celebrated, it is not a wayward thing to fall in love, but it is the truth of many beautiful stories.
So why were we brought up in a fallacy?

--
~asto' ma sat gamaya

No comments: