Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Racing along

I have been thinking about this one incident for quite some time now. am not able to get it out of my mind. I don't know how I came to remember it, It just flashed in my mind as I was driving down to office after a whole week of being sick.
I would have been in 4th or 5th standard, so that means i would have been 8 or 9 year old. School was having the annual sports day, and this was the first time we were taken out from school premises to a big ground somewhere near the school. I remember being excited, because I had my birthday approaching.
anyway, it was 100m or maybe 50m race that I lined up to participate in. I had a friend, Manish Kr Sinkoo, standing next to me. I started running along with other kids, and soon everyone started getting ahead of me, i ran as hard as I could, but it was no good, I was not good enough. I called Manish to wait, he wouldn't listen and when i felt him getting away too, I held him. I held his arm and tried to stop him, he yelled out to some teacher for help, and yanked his arm away from me.
I had tears in my eyes, no breath in my lungs, legs giving way under me.
I think Abhishek Rawat won the race, Manish Kr Sinkoo lost out because of me. I don't remember if I completed the race.

No comments: